There are many ways to avoid a car accident… but if one happens it’s important to know what to do.
You’ll be emotional, stressed and quite possibly injured – so don’t expect you’ll be thinking clearly. The best strategy is to know beforehand what steps to take, in what order, and what questions may need to be answered if the unthinkable happens.
If you are involved in a car accident, keep calm and follow these steps:
1. Assess the accident scene. Stop immediately. Use indicator lights, headlights or hazard lights to warn other drivers.
2. Check for injured people. In the case where you or another person is injured and there is major damage to the car, call emergency services for medical and police assistance.
3. Check that the vehicle is safe to drive. If so, move the car to a safe location to exchange details. If the vehicle is not in a drivable condition or cannot be moved safely, activate the hazard lights and step away from the car.
4. Check the ignition is turned off before leaving the car. Also, as a fire precaution, ensure any other vehicles have the ignitions turned off as well. In the case of fire, contact emergency services immediately.
5. Exchange contact details with the other driver(s). When exchanging details, use the Accident Report Guide (available for download) as a prompt. This will make sure you record all the critical information.
We offer free consultations
Hamilton | Burlington | Brantford | Niagara Falls | St. Catharines
Disclaimer: The information throughout this website is not intended to be taken as legal advice. The information provided by Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers is intended to provide general information regarding personal injury law, catastrophic injury cases, wrongful death claims, medical malpractice lawsuits, car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and more for residents of Hamilton, Burlington, Stoney Creek, Brantford, Niagara Falls, and nearby areas in Ontario. This website is not intended for viewing or usage by European Union citizens. If you are interested in learning more about our law firm, please contact us for a personal consultation.
Our standard fee for service is 30% of the damages and costs recovered.
If you would like more information about our fees and services, please call us at 905-522-9799 or visit one of our locations.