Are you struggling with painful and debilitating injuries because of a construction accident in Brantford, Ontario? Call Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers. As a construction worker, you have rights, including the opportunity to seek compensation for your injuries and suffering. Our experienced Brantford construction accident lawyers are here to help you fight for the maximum recovery you deserve.
Since 1981, Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers has been fighting to protect the rights of injured construction workers and grieving families in Ontario, Canada. As award-winning Ontario trial lawyers with more than 92 years of combined experience, we’ve helped our clients win over $100 million in compensation.
Make the most of your construction accident claim by putting our top-rated legal team in your corner. Call our law office in Brantford, ON, at (226)401-5433 to get started. Your first case evaluation is free.
How Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’re Injured in a Brantford, ON, Construction Accident
Even when things go right, construction is an incredibly dangerous industry. If there’s an accident on a job site, workers can suffer devastating, even life-threatening injuries. Those injuries can cause great physical pain, prevent you from doing your job, and potentially put you in a really difficult financial situation.
While you have the right to seek compensation, actually getting money in your hands can be easier said than done. The process of getting benefits or damages can be time-consuming and requires an in-depth knowledge of Canada’s personal injury laws and procedures.
That’s where our Brantford personal injury lawyers can help.
At Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re known and respected trial lawyers with a proven ability to make a positive impact in the lives of the people we represent. We have the experience and resources necessary to take on the toughest legal disputes and win big for clients like you.
When you turn to us for help after your construction accident in Brantford, you’ll be able to count on us to:
- Review the results of any internal and/or governmental investigations into your construction accident
- Launch an independent inquiry into your accident
- Obtain and assess critical pieces of evidence, including your medical records, the accident report, indications of CCOHS safety violations, photographs of the scene and your injuries, damaged or defective equipment, employer policies and procedures, and witness statements
- Seek the maximum benefits available to you under your employer’s worker’s compensation insurance policy
- Aggressively pursue a top-dollar settlement in a civil lawsuit against a negligent or otherwise liable third party
- Represent you during all hearings, negotiations, and/or appeals
You have one shot at recovering compensation to help you move forward after your construction accident. Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help you make the most of it.
There is no upfront cost or expense to hire our construction accident lawyers in Brantford. Our fees are contingent on the success of your case. We only get paid if we win compensation for you.
Call our Brantford, Ontario, law office to learn more about why you’ll want our award-winning litigators fighting for you. We’re here to help 24 hours a day.
Are Construction Accidents Common in Ontario?
Despite strict regulations established by Canada’s Construction Health and Safety Program, construction accidents are still a common occurrence in Ontario and the nation’s other provinces.
According to the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development, there were a total of 407 construction accidents reported in Ontario in 2021. That represented roughly 17 percent of all critical injury workplace events recorded in the province that year.
At least 22 construction workers were killed in job site accidents in 2021, as well.
Decades of Experience Advocating for Clients in All Types of Construction Accident Cases
Ontario averages more than one construction accident a day. No two accidents are the same. When you’re injured, it will be important to enlist the help of a lawyer who has experience navigating a multitude of different types of construction accident cases.
At Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, our team of award-winning construction accident lawyers in Brantford has 92+ years of combined experience helping clients injured in:
- Scaffolding accidents
- Ladder accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Falls from heights
- Electrocution accidents
- Excavation accidents
- Trenching accidents
- Heavy machinery accidents
- Crane and hoist accidents
- Truck accidents
- Structure collapse accidents
- Struck-by accidents
- Falling object accidents
- Caught in/between accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Defective equipment accidents
- Wrongful death
Benefit from our extensive experience and vast knowledge of Canada’s construction and labor laws. Call our law office in Brantford, Ontario, today to schedule a time for a free case evaluation.
What Causes Most Construction Accidents?
Construction accidents, like other types of workplace accidents, tend to happen when someone is negligent.
Negligence refers to a party’s failure to use reasonable care. As a result, their actions (or inaction) cause another person’s injury or death.
Specifically, some of the most common contributors to construction accidents include:
- Broken or defective scaffolding
- Failing to provide workers with appropriate fall-protection equipment
- Failing to provide workers with necessary safety gear
- Unsafe working conditions, including slick and slippery surfaces
- Providing workers with defective equipment
Our construction accident lawyers in Brantford will carefully assess your situation and work to understand exactly why and how your accident happened. Understanding the underlying cause(s) will allow us to determine your legal options for recovery.
How Do I Recover Compensation After a Brantford Construction Accident?
Ontario construction workers generally have one or two options for recovering compensation after an on-the-job accident: workers’ compensation and civil litigation.
File a Claim For Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Almost all employers in Ontario, Canada, are legally required to carry worker’s compensation insurance.
Worker’s compensation is a no-fault system that:
- Allows injured workers to receive monetary benefits without the time and expense of filing a lawsuit, and
- Protects employers from being sued when construction workers are hurt at work.
The primary purpose of workers’ compensation is to help offset the lost wages and income you experience after getting hurt. However, benefits are limited in amount, scope, and duration.
Available benefits can include:
- Day of injury wages: you will be paid for the day you are injured in a construction accident
- Loss of earnings benefits (LOE): you can receive 85 percent of your average net earnings until you can return to work, your wages return to normal, or you turn 65
- Non-economic loss (NEL): you can receive NEL benefits to help offset the ways in which your life has changed outside of the workplace if you’ve reached Maximum Medical Recovery (MMR) but still suffer from an impairment
- Medical expenses: all reasonable and necessary medical expenses will be covered
- Employment benefits: your employer must continue to fund work-related benefits, including pensions and/or other retirement accounts, for the first year of your disability
Our experienced Brantford workers’ compensation lawyers can help you navigate the claims process, represent you during negotiations with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), and seek the maximum benefits to which you’re entitled under the law.
Seek Damages in a Third-Party Lawsuit
When you’re covered by workers’ compensation, you forfeit the right to sue your employer for your construction accident injuries. However, you can file a lawsuit if a third party contributed to or caused you to get hurt.
Potentially liable parties might include a property owner, a general contractor, a co-worker, an engineer, an architect, or a motorist. You might also have the grounds to bring a product liability claim against a manufacturer if you were injured by a piece of defective work equipment.
Pecuniary damages help to make up for the financial losses and expenses you have because of your accident, such as:
- Lost income and earnings
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Nursing care and assistance
- Future medical bills
- Funeral expenses if a construction accident is fatal
Non-pecuniary damages help to compensate for losses that don’t have a set value, such as:
- Chronic physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Reduced quality of life
In 1978, the Supreme Court of Canada capped non-pecuniary damages at $100,000, subject to inflation. In 2023, the cap is roughly $438,000.
Common Construction Accident Injuries
Whether you’re a roofer, a pipefitter, a machine operator, a mason, an ironworker, or another type of laborer, you can suffer serious, potentially life-changing injuries, if there’s an accident on your job site.
At Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, we can help you seek compensation for any injuries you suffer, including:
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Burn injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Degloving injury
- Crush injury
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Catastrophic injury
- Wrongful death of a family member
Report your accident to your employer right away. Then, don’t hesitate to get to the closest emergency room in Brantford for immediate medical care. The sooner you get checked out, the better.
How Long Do I Have To Pursue Compensation After a Construction Accident in Brantford, Ontario?
In Ontario, workers’ compensation claims and personal injury lawsuits are both subject to a two-year statute of limitations.
Once time runs out, you will give up the opportunity to assert your rights, bring a claim, and fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
Protect your rights by reaching out to our Brantford construction accident lawyers for help right away.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Brantford Construction Accident Lawyer
Don’t struggle with the consequences of your construction accident on your own. You have rights, and Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers can help you make the most of this difficult situation.
Our Brantford construction accident lawyers have 92+ years of experience and have won over $100 million for clients like you.
Benefit from all we have to offer by contacting our Brantford, Ontario, law office today. Your first case evaluation is free. Call us today at (519) 751 9169.