Were you injured in a bicycle accident in Hamilton, ON? If so, you may be entitled to substantial compensation from the at-fault party. With help from Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, you can recover damages for your pain and suffering, lost wages, and much more.
We’re a top-rated personal injury law firm that can dedicate extensive resources toward the success of your case every step of the way. Our Hamilton bicycle accident lawyers have 92 years of combined experience, and we’ve recovered over $100 million in compensation for our clients. When you hire us, we’ll immediately get to work to help you make it through this difficult time.
How Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Hamilton
Bicycles are a popular method of travel in Hamilton, Ontario, whether it’s for commuting or recreational purposes. Unfortunately, cyclists are vulnerable to sustaining serious injuries when they are involved in a collision with a motor vehicle. If this has happened to you, you deserve full compensation that represents every consequence of your accident.
Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers is passionate about helping accident victims in the area and will do everything we can to help you with your case. Our experienced personal injury lawyers have been featured by The Hamilton Spectator on multiple occasions for our legal services, to name just a few of our many accolades. If you choose us to represent you, we can:
- Investigate your bicycle accident to determine your best course of action
- Collect evidence in favor of your case
- Calculate all of your damages to maximize the value of your claim
- Hire experts along the way to strengthen your case as needed
- Protect you from allegations of contributory negligence
- Negotiate with the opposing party for a fair settlement agreement
- File a personal injury lawsuit and take your case to court if necessary
Contact our trusted Hamilton personal injury lawyers today to learn more. Your initial legal review is free of charge.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Hamilton?
The City of Hamilton publishes an Annual Collision Report detailing statistics for various types of accidents – including those involving bicyclists. The latest report reflects data from 2022 and indicates the following regarding bicycle accidents:
- There were 128 total bicycle collisions in Hamilton in 2022, which is a decrease from the year prior when there were 139
- Of that total, 1 collision was fatal
- On average, there was a collision involving a cyclist once every 3 days
- The City of Hamilton experiences 1.1% fewer bicycle accidents compared with the Provincial average
Our legal team is here to assist you and your family after an accident. Contact us today to learn about your legal rights and options.
How Much Is My Hamilton Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
It’s natural to wonder how much your bicycle accident case might be worth, and it’s an important question to ask. The truth is that each case has a unique value, as no two accidents are exactly alike. Many factors can play a role in the calculation, such as:
- The nature of your injuries and their severity
- Whether you will make a full medical recovery and will be able to return to work
- The amount of financial losses you have experienced
- Whether you contributed to the cause of the accident
- The strength of the evidence supporting your case
- The pain and suffering you have experienced
The cases involving the most catastrophic injuries are generally worth the most, although other factors can be just as influential in some cases. Before demanding compensation from the opposing party, it is crucial that you determine the full value of your case. Otherwise, you could end up with less compensation than you are owed under the law.
This is one reason why hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer can make all the difference. When you hire us, we will undertake a comprehensive evaluation of your case so that we can establish how much it is truly worth.
We Will Fight for Compensation Based on Each of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Cyclists tend to suffer relatively serious injuries in the event of a collision, given the lack of protection that these vehicles off their riders. We can help you obtain compensation after sustaining any of the following types of harm:
- Soft tissue damage
- Back injuries
- Road rash
- Leg injuries
- Broken bones
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Strains and sprains
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
This list is not exhaustive. Contact our personal injury law firm for more information regarding what we can do for you after a bicycle accident.
What Damages Can I Get After a Hamilton Bicycle Accident?
Ontario personal injury law intends to make accident victims whole again if they were hurt due to someone else’s negligence or wrongdoing. The two primary categories are called pecuniary damages (for your financial losses) and non-pecuniary damages (for your other kinds of losses).
Examples of damages you can get include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of expectation of life
- Property damage
- Miscellaneous financial expenses
- Attendant care
- Reduced earning capacity
- Emotional distress
If you have any questions about the available damages in your case, we encourage you to contact us to schedule a free case review.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Hamilton, Ontario
Bicycle accidents are generally caused by a lack of reasonable care on the part of the motor vehicle driver. Overall, some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Speeding and other aggressive driving
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Running through a stop sign or red light
- Poor visibility or weather conditions
- Fatigued driving
- Failure to check blind spots
- Drunk driving
No matter the specific cause of your collision, you may be due compensation from the responsible party. Call us today for a complimentary review of your case.
What Happens if I’m Blamed for My Bicycle Accident in Hamilton, ON?
Under Ontario law, you can still recover compensation even if you share some blame for your bicycle accident. If you’re able to utilize “no-fault” insurance coverage, you can do so even if you caused the crash in most cases. Regarding any potential lawsuits against the at-fault party, the Province addresses contributory negligence by assigning a percentage of fault to each party involved in the case.
From there, your compensation can be reduced based on your assigned percentage. For example, if you are found to be 20% at fault for your collision, your compensation can be reduced by 20%.
Hiring a qualified personal injury lawyer is the best way to protect yourself from allegations of contributory negligence. Your lawyer can advocate for you and ensure the percentage assigned to you is as low as possible.
Who Is Liable for My Hamilton Bicycle Accident?
Usually, your first place to turn for compensation after a bicycle accident is your “no-fault” insurance coverage. You can receive benefits under your policy no matter whose fault the accident was.
If you don’t have your own “no-fault” policy, you may be able to file a claim with the motor vehicle driver’s insurance to recover compensation. If this isn’t an option, such as in the context of a hit-and-run accident, you may be able to receive money through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. These legal avenues may lead to filing a lawsuit against the at-fault party, but could also allow you to recover more compensation than you could through merely utilizing your insurance coverage.
It’s almost certainly in your best interest to reach out to us for a free case review if you’ve been injured in a bicycle collision. We can help you understand and explore your best legal course of action.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Hamilton?
Ontario’s Limitations Act establishes the time limits for filing lawsuits. If you file your lawsuit too late, you will be unable to pursue your case in all likelihood. The deadline for personal injury lawsuits is generally two years, meaning you have two years from the date of your bicycle accident to file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
However, there are sometimes exceptions to the two-year time limit. Contact our law firm as soon as you can for help determining the deadline for your case so that you can protect your legal interests.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Experienced Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyers
If you were recently injured in a bicycle accident in Hamilton, Ontario, you may have multiple options for recovering compensation. Our Hamilton bicycle accident lawyers are here to assist you throughout the process. If you hire us, we’ll handle your legal case while you focus on your health and well-being. Contact us today to schedule your free case review.
Our personal injury law firm in Hamilton, ON also handles:
- Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Hamilton Car Accident Lawyer
- Hamilton Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
- Hamilton Construction Accident Lawyer
- Hamilton Dog Bite Lawyers
- Hamilton Long-Term Disability Lawyers
- Hamilton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Hamilton Negligence Lawyer
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Personal Injury Attorneys in Hamilton, ON
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Hamilton Truck Accident Attorneys
- Hamilton Workers Compensation Lawyers
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Hamilton, ON