A dog bite can cause severe scarring, infections, and injuries. You might sustain permanent impairments and psychological harm. If you suffered a dog bite or attack, let us fight to obtain fair compensation for the physical, financial, and emotional harm caused by the incident.
Our Hamilton dog bite injury lawyers at Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers are here when you need us the most. We provide compassionate support and guidance to help you navigate a dog bite claim. We have represented injured victims and their families in the Hamilton community for more than 40 years.
With more than 92 years of combined legal experience, our Hamilton dog bite lawyers at Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Our lawyers have recovered over $100 million for our clients in life-changing settlements and jury verdicts.
How Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured Because of a Dog Bite or Attack in Hamilton
Dog bites and dog attacks leave innocent victims with emotional and physical scars. Unfortunately, dog bites and attacks are more common than people realize. If a dog bites you, you could likely benefit from sound legal advice.
We can help you every step of the way at Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers. We are concerned with your well-being and work tirelessly to get you justice after a dog attack. We provide the personalized service and attention that you deserve.
When you hire our top-rated Hamilton personal injury lawyers, you can trust we will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into your claim to gather evidence proving what happened
- Work with experts to strengthen your case as necessary
- Identify all parties responsible for your injuries and damages
- Document your damages to calculate how much your dog injury claim is worth
- File insurance claims and handle all matters related to those claims
- Aggressively negotiate settlements with insurance companies and at-fault parties
- File a lawsuit and prepare to argue your case in court, if necessary
At Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, our lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. You do not pay legal fees if we do not win compensation for your case.
Our lawyers are available 24/7 to discuss your case. Call now to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced dog bite lawyer in Hamilton, Ontario.
Common Injuries Caused by Dog Bites in Hamilton, Ontario
A dog bite can result in horrific injuries and disfigurement. Even a small bite can cause infections and life-threatening conditions.
Our Hamilton dog bite lawyers handle cases involving all types of dog bite injuries. Examples of injuries and harm caused by dog bites include:
- Severe facial trauma and injury
- Puncture wounds
- Head and neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones and fractures
- Traumatic head injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Avulsion s
The consequences of a dog bite can be severe. A victim may need treatment for rabies, sepsis, tetanus, or other infections. A dog bite infection could be fatal without the proper medical treatment.
A dog bite can result in permanent impairments and disabilities. Additionally, the psychological trauma caused by a dog attack can result in PTSD, anxiety, and other debilitating conditions. Children attacked by dogs may develop cognitive, physical, emotional, and developmental impairments.
Seek immediate medical treatment if a dog bites you. If possible, take photographs and make a video of your injuries to preserve evidence for a dog bite injury claim.
Who Is Liable for a Dog Bite Injury in Hamilton, Ontario?
The Dog Owners’ Liability Act (DOLA) holds a dog owner strictly liable for damages caused when their dog bites or attacks someone or a domestic animal. The dog owner is liable regardless of whether they knew the dog had a history of aggressive behavior or biting.
Other parties could share liability for a dog bite injury. For example, a negligent property owner or landlord could share in the liability for a dog bite claim.
Claims may be commenced in the Ontario Court of Justice against the dog owner if:
- The dog attacks or bites a person or domestic animal
- The dog behaved in a manner that resulted in a danger to the safety of people or domestic animals
- The owner failed to exercise reasonable care to prevent the dog from attacking or biting someone or a domestic animal
If you are unsure whether you have a claim against the dog owner, contact our Hamilton dog bite lawyers to discuss your case. We will review your case for free to advise you of your legal options for seeking compensation for damages.
What Damages Can I Recover for a Dog Bite Injury in Hamilton?
When a dog bites you, you will likely incur expenses and financial losses related to the dog bite. If the owner is liable, you could receive compensation for pecuniary damages, including:
- Medical bills for your treatment and recovery
- Future medical expenses for permanent impairments and disabilities
- Past and future lost wages and benefits
- The cost of rehabilitative therapy and treatment
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- The cost of reconstructive and plastic surgeries
- Diminished earning capacity
In addition to the financial losses, a dog bite or attack can cause severe pain and suffering. Therefore, you can also demand compensation for your non-pecuniary damages, including:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Impairments and disabilities
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- A decrease in quality of life
If a loved one dies because of a dog bite or attack, you might be able to bring a wrongful death claim for damages. The compensation does not ease the pain of loving a family member, but it can help with expenses and hold the at-fault party accountable for their conduct.
Can I Recover Compensation for a Hamilton Dog Bite Injury Claim if I Am Partially To Blame for the Dog Bite?
The law in Ontario does not prevent a victim from recovering compensation for damages if they share liability for a dog bite. However, the court reduces the damages awarded by the percentage of fault or negligence of the injured party.
Our lawyers will work hard to minimize the amount of blame assigned to you so that you can recover full compensation for your injuries. Call us today for a free legal review of your case.
How Much Is Your Hamilton Dog Bite Claim Worth?
The amount your dog bite claim is worth depends on the facts of the case. Examples of factors that could impact the value of your case include:
- Will the injury prevent you from earning a living?
- Did you sustain significant scarring or disfigurement?
- What was the length of your recovery?
- Does the injury impact your daily activities?
- What medical treatment was required for the dog bite injury?
- Did you sustain associated trauma because of the dog bite?
- Were you partially to blame for causing the dog bite?
Other factors could determine how much money you receive, including the strength of your evidence. Our Hamilton dog bite lawyers analyze each factor impacting your case’s value. We diligently work to maximize the factors for you while defending you against anything that could hurt your claim.
What Is the Limitations Period for a Dog Bite Claim in Ontario?
Ontario has a limitations period in place for personal injury lawsuits. The court can dismiss any lawsuit filed after the time limit expires. Therefore, you want to act quickly if you are injured by a dog attack or bite.
Generally, you have two years under the Limitations Act to file a lawsuit for a dog bite. However, there could be exceptions. Therefore, you should contact Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible to discuss your case.
What Should I Do if a Dog Bites Me or My Child?
Call 911 if the injury is serious. Otherwise, seek prompt medical attention for your injuries. Obtain the name and contact information of the dog’s owner and any witnesses to the dog attack.
Take a photograph of your injuries to document the damages. As soon as possible, report the dog bite to the property authorities. Ask for a copy of the final report detailing the results of the investigation.
Keep detailed records of your expenses related to the dog bite. It also helps to write a narrative in your own words detailing the struggles you experienced during your recovery.
Contact Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your dog bite case with a lawyer. We can help you seek compensation for damages from the dog owner and other responsible parties.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Hamilton Dog Bite Lawyers
You should not bear the burden of a negligent dog owner or other party. At Findlay Personal Injury Lawyers, we work to obtain a fair settlement or jury verdict so you can move forward with your life after a dog attack. Call us today to request a free case review with one of our experienced Hamilton dog bite lawyers.
Our personal injury law firm in Hamilton, ON also handles:
- Hamilton Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Hamilton Car Accident Lawyer
- Hamilton Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
- Hamilton Construction Accident Lawyer
- Hamilton Dog Bite Lawyers
- Hamilton Long-Term Disability Lawyers
- Hamilton Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
- Hamilton Negligence Lawyer
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Personal Injury Attorneys in Hamilton, ON
- Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers in Hamilton, ON
- Hamilton Truck Accident Attorneys
- Hamilton Workers Compensation Lawyers
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Hamilton, ON